After a slow start, things warmed up for both sides in the last five minutes of the half. Here's what we know so far:
- Isaiah Whitehead continues to be the catalyst for everything the Pirates do on offense. The lightning rod guard out of New York paces the hosts with 10 points in addition to four boards. If Seton Hall wants to close this game out, Whitehead will likely need to continue his strong play
- Despite the lead and strong finish to the half, Khadeen Carrington has been nowhere to be seen for the Pirates. Part of that great Hall back court, Carrington has struggled thus far with just three points on 1-4 shooting.
- SanoGO! Forward Ismael Sanogo has been all over the place for SHU thus far, scoring six to go along with five boards and a sterling defensive effort. The first half was certainly one of the sophomores' best of the year.
- What's cooler than being cool? (ST. JOHN'S!) I said, what's cooler than being cool? (ST. JOHN'S!) After a solid start, the Johnnies went all Andre 3K on us, finishing an ice cold 27% from the field on 10-37 shooting
- Paging Chris Mullin. I understand the tough situation that Mullin has been thrust into, and I respect how he's handling it, but Mullin's team often looks lost out on the court. The talent gap is understandable, but the Red Storm are far too undisciplined to competing with the large majority of the Big East right now.
- Keeping up with the (Christian) Jones'. Junior wing Christian Jones paces Mullin's men with eight points on 4-8 shooting, already topping his season average of seven points-per-game. It'll take another great effort from Jones in the second if the Johnnies want to pull back into this contest.