On the most anticipated Big East basketball day in recent memory, it's been all Villanova so far against No. 6 Xavier.
This game, of course, has been marred by the scary injury to Edmond Sumner, who took a bad fall on a frightful collision at the rim.
Sumner strode to the rim on a breakaway when Nova's Kris Jenkins went up for the block, taking Sumner's legs right from under him. The freshman hit the deck hard, his head slamming to the hardwood, appearing to knock him out cold.
Sumner was on the floor for 10 minutes before being stretchered out of the Pavilion. He did have movement in his extremities and has been taken to a nearby hospital. We will provide more information on his condition when it becomes available.
Back to the game, Villanova has sent a message to the undefeated Musketeers, taking a 48-30 lead into halftime. Here's everything you need to know about the first half:
- Trevon Bluiett leads the Musketeers with 7 points.
- James Farr has 6 points and 2 rebounds, but has played limited minutes off the bench thanks to two fouls.
- X is not moving the ball well in this one. They trail the assist battle 6 to 2.
- Ryan Arcidiacono is flat out BALLING. He leads all scorers with 17 points on 6-of-8 shooting, and has connected on 5-of-6 3-point attempts.
- Phil Booth has been automatic himself. He's got 10 points on a perfect 4-for-4 from the field, including two triples.
- As a team, the Wildcats are 8-of-11 from beyond the arc.