"New Coach, New Look," has been good for St. John's as the Red Storm are currently leading the UMBC Retrievers 31-22 at the end of the first half. Here's all you need to know about the opening frame.
- UMBC's leading scorers so far this evening have been Joe Serburne and Malcolm Brant. Sherburne is shooting 3-of-7 from all area of the floor and 2-of-4 from 3-point range, good for eight points. Brant has been shooting 3-of-7 from all areas of the floor and 1-of-5 from 3-point range good for seven points.
- As from the play of Brant and Sherburne, as a team UMBC is shooting 8-of-33 from all areas of the floor.
- They have been playing tough on the boards with 21 rebounds, especially on the offensive side where they are out rebounding St. John's
- Cody Joyce got himself into early foul trouble by picking up two consecutive fouls, one being a personal foul and the other a technical foul. Both were on the same play.
- Federico Mussini continues to show a lot of promise picking up where he left from last game. Mussini currently leads all St. John's scorers with eight points and is shooting 4-of-6.
- As a team, St. John's is shooting 12-of-26 from all areas of the floor, much like UMBC they are having trouble with the 3-ball as the Red Storm are 4-of-14 from beyond the 3-point line.
- Chris Mullin has been able to use his bench to great success this game as St. John's has 15 points off the bench, with Ron Mvouika leading the way with six points.
- Yankuba Sima has been able to find his spot underneath the basket and has three blocks in the game.
- Both Christian Jones and Malik Ellison lead the way on rebounds with five apiece.