I know this probably a dead horse in this blog, but I thought I'd tip my hand on how I feel the New Big East divisions should look. First, since this is a nationwide conference I feel something along the lines of Stars and Stripes are appropriate (As long as its not anything like Leaders and Legends, right?). Here is what I feel they should be, and I'll comment on why (Cross Division rival in parenthesis) :
Boise State (San Diego State)
Navy* (we'll find out in 2015, but Midshipmen vs. Falcons or Pirates does sound tempting)
South Florida (Central Florida)
Southern Methodist (Houston)
Central Florida (South Florida)
Houston (Southern Methodist)
San Diego State (Boise State)
*Navy doesn't start Big East play until 2015.
- All teams can now recruit both Florida and Texas easier than if it was east-west.
- All Rivalries are maintained (few examples below), and so are the potential for new ones.
- Cinci, Houston, U of L, and Memphis have a long track record of playing each other.
- Navy has played Rutgers 23 times, and SMU 16 (They also have a trophy).
- Rutgers has played Temple 34 times.
- Avoids any Temple, Memphis, Louisville, etc. to the Western Division talk.
- Makes things OK if the conference wishes to add another east coast team to be the cross division rival to Navy.
- UCF has played Memphis for almost 8 years straight.... why stop now?
- Boise State and San Diego State have not really played any of the New Big East so finding a division for them can be interchangeable, but i like this configuration.
So Big East fans new and old.... What do you think?
Do you think this is the best Division Alignment so far?
Yes (11 votes)
No (explain in comments) (17 votes)
28 total votes