We’re edging closer and closer to the start of the college basketball season, which is set tip off in 10 weeks from yesterday. Campuses are filling up with students again, days are gradually getting shorter, and the countdown is on.
High schools are opening soon too, so that means commitments are being made, and lists are getting trimmed down for the 2020 class.
Since the Aug. 16 update, there has only been two new Big East commitments—and plenty more cuts. St. John’s received a verbal commitment from four-star Class of 2020 point guard Posh Alexander (Bronx, N.Y./Our Saviour Lutheran), who opted to stay home. For Mike Anderson, it’s his highest-ranked commit thus far, and he got him to stay in New York. Alexander was first offered by Chris Mullin and his staff back when he was an eighth grader, but Anderson was able to quickly forge a relationship in just a few months and continued the connection between St. John’s and Alexander after Mullin’s departure.
Marquette also added a walk-on in Michael Kennedy (Mequon, Wisc./Homestead).
While Alexander was the big news in terms of commitment, a number of high profile prospects have included Big East teams in their finalized lists. Here’s a list of all the conference-wide news on the recruiting trail.
- Four-star 2020 point guard Posh Alexander (Bronx, N.Y./Our Saviour Lutheran) commits to St. John’s.
- Marquette adds 2019 guard Michael Kennedy (Mequon, Wisc./Homestead) as a walk-on.
- DePaul, UConn, and Xavier were cut from four-star 2020 forward Keon Ambrose’s (Canada/International Sports Academy) final 10 list
- Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Xavier were all cut from four-star 2020 forward Jaemyn Brakefield’s (Jackson, Miss./Huntington Prep) top 10
- Four-star 2020 forward Jalen Bridges (Fairmont, W. Va./Scotland Campus Sports) has cut his top 10 list in half. Xavier is in his final five
- Four-star 2020 forward Eugene Brown III (Decatur, Ga./Southwest DeKalb) included Butler in his final six, but cut Xavier.
- Xavier makes four-star 2020 F Ben Carlson’s (St. Paul, Minn./East Ridge) final six, but Creighton did not
- 2020 forward Andre Harris (Mesa, Ariz./Hillcrest Prep) did not include St. John’s in his top six
- Three-star 2020 guard Shakeel Moore (Greensboro, N.C./Moravian Prep) has Providence in his top seven, but left off DePaul
- Four-star 2020 guard Matthew Murrell (Memphis, Tenn./IMG Academy) cuts Georgetown, as he narrows his list to five
- Three-star 2020 forward Kadary Richmond (Brooklyn, N.Y./Brewster Academy) names his final four. UConn, Seton Hall, and St. John’s are in. Creighton, Georgetown, and Xavier are not.
Non-Big East Commitments:
- Butler and Creighton target, 2021 F Doug Konieczny Jr. (South Bend, Ind./St. Joseph’s) is staying home, commits to Notre Dame.
- DePaul target, 2020 F Jordan Kwiecinski (Chicago, Ill./Loyola Academy) commits to Drake.
- Four-star 2020 guard Darius Maddox (Washington, D.C./Oak Hill Academy) committed to Virginia Tech. Had offers from Creighton, Georgetown, Seton Hall, and DePaul.
- Butler target, three-star 2020 forward Toneari Lane (Lawrenceville, Ga./Shiloh) commits to Winthrop.
- St. John’s offered 2023 center Gai Chol (South Sudan/Greenforest McCalep Christian)
- Xavier offered 2022 guard D’Ante Davis (Indianapoils, Ind./Lawrence Central)
- 2022 point guard J.J. Starling (Baldwinsville, N.Y./Charles W. Baker) receives an offer from St. John’s
- If you notice an error, have news of a new offer, please feel free to tip me off—or Big East Coast Bias—on Twitter: @becb_sbn and @erapay5. I’ll update accordingly.
- Shoutout to Anonymous Eagle, Casual Hoya, Banners on the Parkway, Rumble in the Garden, The UConn Blog, and VU Hoops. We unfortunately don’t have articles on all recruits, but we got some help in filling some blanks from our fellow Big East SB Nation sites. Some recruits have clickable names, which will take you to a relevant article regarding that player.
- I recommend viewing the spreadsheet externally, since you’ll be able to use things like filters (Google Sheets has that option on the top-left, next to the print button.) and Ctrl+F (Apple+F if you’re on Mac) to help make searching for recruits easier. You’ll also have a bigger screen/window to look at the spreadsheet: Big East Offer Tracker, last updated August 28, 2019. Alternatively, you may view below.