clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hoyas Survive Lone Road Nonconference Game Against Richmond

All five Georgetown starters record double figures in the win.

NCAA Basketball: Georgetown at Richmond
Jonathan Mulmore drives to the hoop during the second half of Georgetown’s win over Richmond.
Amber Searls-USA TODAY Sports

In their first true test of the season, Georgetown (4-0, Big East) defeated Richmond (1-5, Atlantic 10) on the road, 82-76. All five Georgetown starters finished in double figures, and Marcus Derrickson led the way with 16 points and nine rebounds. De’Monte Buckingham poured in a career-high 28 points and Grant Golden added 24 points and 10 rebounds, but it was not enough, as the Spiders were unable to knock down shots late, making just one of their final seven field goal attempts.

Kaleb Johnson opened the scoring with a poster dunk just 15 seconds into the game, and the Hoyas jumped out to an early 9-4 lead after a 3-pointer from Jonathan Mulmore at the 16:12 mark. Georgetown extended its lead to six after a Johnson free throw shortly afterwards, but Buckingham and Golden combined to score 23 of Richmond’s next 31 points, as the Spiders opened up a seven-point lead with 6:38 to play in the first half. The Hoyas, on the other hand, used a balanced scoring attack to claw their way back into the game, as five Hoyas scored at least five points in the period. Jagan Mosely was fouled on his last-second 3-point attempt and converted 2-of-3 from the line to give Georgetown a slim 40-39 advantage at the break.

After the break, Buckingham picked up where he left off, getting a jumper in the paint to fall through contact to extend the Richmond lead to three after four minutes of play. This was the largest lead the Spiders would enjoy in the second half, as Derrickson and Govan hit shots from both inside the paint and on the perimeter to open up a five point Hoya lead with 11:41 remaining in regulation. A pair of free throws from Buckingham just minutes later put the Spiders back on top, but a two minute scoreless drought saw Georgetown regain its lead, 64-59, on a pair of Derrickson free throws.

Richmond refused to go down easily, however. Golden cut the Georgetown lead to just one point after hitting a 3-pointer at the seven minute mark. Despite the Hoyas’ youth, head coach Patrick Ewing relied on his veterans down the stretch, and Mulmore answered the call. The senior guard scored five consecutive points, including a layup through contact as the shot clock expired, and set up Jamorko Pickett for an open 3-pointer down the stretch, which gave the Hoyas a five point lead with less than a minute-and-a-half remaining. Although they committed two of their season-high 18 turnovers in the final three minutes of action, the Hoyas played stout defense and hit their free throws to ice the game.

Both teams shot the ball well from the field, but Richmond made just 2-11 3-point attempts in the second half, and 7-27 in the game. Georgetown, on the other hand, was hot from everywhere on the floor, converting on 53 percent of field goals, 55 percent of 3-pointers, and 84.6 percent of free throws.

The Hoyas return to action on Tuesday, Nov. 18, when they host Maine (0-5, America East). Tipoff is set for 8:30 pm.