We're three weeks into the season and now it's getting easier to get a sense of who is really good and who really isn't. This is our ballot and here are a few nuggets. Consider this us fiddling as our Rome burns.
- We've got LSU and Oklahoma at the top because both teams have played top flight competition away from home and won impressively. Alabama is a close third, but I'm still wary of that offense. Right now, those three teams look better than anyone else, and man is it fun to think about that LSU/Alabama game later this year.
- We have a clear goof up with Washington State at #12 instead of West Virginia. Not sure what happens with the code but that should be the Mountaineers.
- We were obviously harsh on South Carolina, but while it is understandable to struggle with Navy and that funky offense, South Carolina fell way behind to East Carolina before storming back, they struggled past Georgia on some trick plays and defensive scores, and then had to hold off Navy at the end. I still have my doubts about how good that team is.
- We moved some teams into the poll that really showed out yesterday such as Georgia Tech, who dropped 600+ rushing yards on Kansas, Houston who had a furious comeback to beat La. Tech, Clemson whose underclassmen were impressive in a win over Auburn, and San Diego State who keeps winning without Brady Hoke.
- A big round of applause for the FIU Golden Panthers who beat up and coming UCF despite superstar TY Hilton missing most of the game with an injury. FIU could very well finish 12-0.